Political Science Teaching Minor
Students who intend to graduate on the 128 credit degree program should consult with Advising & Career Services and their faculty advisor before selecting a teaching minor. Some requirements for certain teaching minors can be met in General Education, but some others cannot. Students choosing to take teaching minors with requirements beyond 21 credits may take credits in excess of 128 to complete their teaching major and preferred teaching minor.
Courses offered are oriented toward:
- preparing the student for citizenship roles in community and national affairs and providing a coherent knowledge of political and government activities;
- assisting the student to secure a broad liberal arts and sciences education;
- providing undergraduate preparation for those students who propose to study at the graduate level;
- offering general training for students who plan careers in government and public affairs;
- preparing students for careers in secondary teaching;
- providing a sound background for those students who intend to enroll in law and other professional schools;
- providing a useful background for students who wish to work in management and staff positions in business and industry which have relationships with the public sector, including political journalism.
For students who are gaining teaching licensure in a content major, the following minor leads to endorsement. All students desiring licensure to teach are required to file an Application for Admission to the Educator Preparation Program.
|EDU 497A||Methods: 5-12 Social Studies||2|
|PSCI 210||Intro to American Government *||3|
|PSCI 220||Intro to Comparative Govt *||3|
|PSCI 230||Intro to International Rel *||3|
|PSCI 342||Media, Public Opinion, Polling||3|
|Select nine credits chosen in consultation with an advisor from the following list:||9|
|Introduction to Public Admin|
|Intro to State and Local Govt|
|American Foreign Policy|
|Political Parties & Elections|
|Local Government Admin|
|Const Law: Civil Liberties|
|Const Law: Powers & Structures|
|Total Minimum Credits||23|
May satisfy General Education requirements.
Certain courses in this program have prerequisites; students should check the course descriptions for required prerequisites.