School Counseling Option (K-12) Master of Education (Offered online)
The School Counseling option for the Master of Education Degree meets the licensure requirements established by the Office of Public Instruction (OPI) for professional school counseling in a K-12 school setting in Montana. Completion of this program provides eligibility for the Montana Class 6 School Counselor Specialist license. The program (K-12 OPI licensure) prepares individuals to work with elementary and secondary students in a professional, compassionate manner to promote positive intellectual, behavioral, and emotional change.
All students seeking a degree or post baccalaureate program through the Department of Educational Theory & Practice must obtain criminal background reports by submitting fingerprints to the Licensure Office upon application to Graduate Studies.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants with lower GPA may be provisionally admitted but are required to take the GRE within the first semester. GRE total score of 290 (verbal and quantitative) and written score of 3.5 are expected. Applicants that already have a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to meet this requirement.
- Current resume or CV.
- Statement of purpose describing the applicant's professional goals and the purpose in pursuing the degree program. One page maximum in narrative format, not bulleted.
- Four letters of recommendation, two academic and two professional. Recommendations from those who have a personal relationship with the applicant (such as family members) are not accepted.
- Official transcripts.
- Criminal background report submitted to the College of Education Licensure Officer.
- Immunization documentation as required by state law.
- A complete application submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies.
Note: Master of Education in School Counseling and Graduate Endorsement PRAXIS in school counseling is required for exit and endorsement.
OPI Licensure Professional Practice Track
|Research course selected in consultation with advisor||3|
|Human Development course selected in consultation with advisor||3|
|School Counseling Core|
|SCOU 505||Theories of Counseling||3|
|SCOU 506||Pract: Coun & Thrpy Techniques||1|
|SCOU 507||Ethical & Prof Issues Sch Coun||3|
|SCOU 508||Pract: Mltcltrl/Gndr Issues||1|
|SCOU 504||Career & Lifestyle Development||3|
|SCOU 520||Group & Individual Eval||3|
|SCOU 527||Counseling in Elem & MS||3|
|SCOU 554||Org & Admin School Counseling||3|
|SCOU 557||Group Process: Thry & Prctc||3|
|Curriculum course selected in consultation with advisor .||3|
|SPED 540||Educ of Exceptional Learners||3|
|Internship and Capstone|
|SCOU 590||Internship: School Counseling (Elementary)||6|
|SCOU 590||Internship: School Counseling (Secondary)||6|
|SCOU 597||Capstone in School Counseling||1|
|Total Minimum Credits||48|