Special Education Supervisor Endorsement
Supervisory Endorsement programs of study at the post-master’s level are available as an administrative endorsement in Montana for specific fields of teaching. Montana State University Billings offers a supervisory program in Special Education. For candidates who meet all criteria below, this plan must be developed with a faculty advisor; it is subsequently approved by the Department Chair and the Dean of the College of Education. Upon completion of all program requirements and with a minimum program GPA of 3.00, the endorsement candidate is responsible to file an official Montana State University Billings transcript with the College of Education Licensure Officer and request to have the added endorsement approved by the Department Chairperson and Dean for transmission to the Office of Public Instruction in Helena.
All students seeking a degree or post baccalaureate program through the Department of Educational Theory & Practice must obtain criminal background reports by submitting fingerprints to the Licensure Office upon application to Graduate Studies.
The Supervisory Endorsement in Special Education is intended for individuals who are pursuing advanced studies in Special Education and plan to be employed as a director of special education.
Each applicant must meet the criteria listed below:
- Completion of a master’s degree from an accredited university or college, in Special Education, or a master’s degree in a special education related service field.
- Full licensure in the field of specialization.
- Eligible for the Montana Educator Elementary/Secondary License with the Special Education Endorsement or an educator license/license endorsement for providing related services—e.g., speech and language pathologist, school psychologist.
- Minimum of three years special education teaching experience or five years as a related services provider.
- Recommendation of the Chairperson of the Department of Educational Theory and Practice.
Undergraduate or graduate educational curriculum course
Undergraduate or graduate special education law course
Students may take the required general administration courses through any accredited Educational Leadership program. In Montana, the following institutions have accredited programs: MSU-Bozeman, Rocky Mountain College, University of Montana.
|Foundations of Education Leadership||3|
|Supervision of Instruction||3|
|Montana School Law||3|
|Montana School Finance||3|
|Data Driven Decisions||3|
|The following courses are taken through MSU Billings:|
|SPED 611||Admin/Sprvsn Spec Prog||3|
|Total Minimum Credits||23|