MSU Billings Catalog

City College Registration

Registrar's Office

City College Tech Building, Jacket Student Central, First Floor

(406) 247-3012 or 1-800-565-MSUB ext.3012

Transfer of College-Level Credits

Transfers from Montana University System Units, Montana Community Colleges and Montana Tribal Colleges

By Board of Regents policy, Montana State University Billings is committed to facilitating undergraduate transfer for students transferring from units of the Montana University System and the three publicly supported community colleges and the seven tribal colleges in Montana.

Block Transfer

Undergraduate students  who have completed, with a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 (C) on a four-point scale, an approved general education program at one of the institutions noted above, will be deemed to have met the lower division General Education requirements of Montana State University Billings.

Special attention should be paid to Board of Regents Policy 301.5.3 on Minimum Course Grades which also applies to acceptance of transfer credit.  Before Montana State University Billings will accept the courses as applicable for meeting General Education, a student will have to earn a grade of “C-” or better in each of the classes.

Depending on the major program the student selects, there may be additional lower division courses required to meet published major program prerequisites.  A student may be required to take additional coursework at the upper division level that is part of the approved General Education program at Montana State University Billings.

Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees

A student who has completed an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree with an approved general education component package at another unit of the Montana University System has satisfied the requirements of this policy.

Note:  Students should be aware that Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees ordinarily do not have a designated field of study in their title.

Special attention should be paid to Board of Regents Policy 301.5.3 on Minimum Course Grades which also applies to acceptance of transfer credit.  Before Montana State University Billings will accept the courses as applicable for meeting General Education, a student will have to earn a grade of “C-” or better in each of the classes.

Montana University System (MUS) Core Curriculum

The Montana Transferable Core Curriculum represents an agreement among community, tribal, and publicly funded colleges and universities in the State of Montana.  It ensures the transfer of up to 30 semester credits for those students enrolled in courses prescribed within each of six discipline areas at a participating host institution.  The six discipline areas are:

Natural Sciences (at least one with a laboratory experience)6
Social Sciences/History6
Communication - written & oral6
Humanities/Fine Arts6
Cultural Diversity3
Total Minimum Credits30

Transfer students and student advisors should also be familiar with the additional guidelines that have been adopted by the Montana Board of Regents for students who use the Montana University System Core to satisfy their lower division general education requirement. Those guidelines are entitled Operational Rules for the Montana University System Core, and can be found at  They include the following:

  • In order to satisfy the MUS core, students must successfully complete at least one course that includes significant content related to the cultural heritage of American Indians.  (See an academic advisor for assistance in determining which transfer courses satisfy this requirement.)
  • Students must earn the minimum number of credits in each of the six (6) categories of coursework.  Students can only use credit-bearing competency tests or coursework to satisfy the MUS core.
  • Coursework can only be used once to satisfy the requirements of the MUS Core.  It cannot be “double counted” to satisfy the requirements of more than one category.
  • In order to satisfy the requirements of the Communications area, students must successfully complete a combination of courses that includes significant content in both written and oral communications.
  • Students must satisfy the “minimum grade” requirements established by Board of Regents’ Policy 301.5.3, along with any exceptions to that policy that may have been established by their program of study.

The Montana University System is committed to facilitating the ease of undergraduate student transfer to its campuses.  Therefore, all campuses of the Montana University System will recognize the integrity of general education programs offered by units of the Montana University System and the three publicly supported community colleges and the seven tribal colleges in Montana. 

An undergraduate student who has completed courses identified as part of the Montana University System (MUS) Core courses will have general education coursework reviewed for transferability to Montana State University Billings as follows:

  1. If a student has completed less than 20 general education credits, that student will be required to complete the approved General Education program at Montana State University Billings.  All general education transfer credits that are part of the MUS Core will be reviewed for possible application in the approved General Education program.
  2. If a student has completed 20 or more MUS core credits, but does not satisfy the block transfer policy described in the preceding section, that student may choose to complete either the MUS core or the approved General Education program at Montana State University Billings.  The student should make that decision in consultation with an advisor.
  3. An undergraduate student who completes postsecondary coursework in the Montana University System that does not fall within the MUS Core will have his/her classes analyzed on a course-by-course basis to determine how those classes might satisfy the General Education program requirements at Montana State University Billings.

Course by Course Evaluation

Students who have not completed an approved general education program will have their transcript evaluated for transfer purposes using the Statewide Core Curriculum and Community College Transfer Guide.  Note:  College-level courses shall be defined as those that are applicable to an associate of arts, associate of science or baccalaureate degree.  In advance of a student’s enrollment, Montana State University Billings will determine which courses within an associate of applied science degree program will be credited toward a given associates or baccalaureate degree.  In all cases, such courses shall not include remedial or developmental courses.

Depending upon the major program the student selects, there may still be additional lower division courses required to meet published major program prerequisites.

Minimum Course Grades

Effective Fall Semester 2005, Board of Regents policy 301.5.3 on minimum grades will apply to all students who enter or are re-admitted to the Montana University System or the three (3) community colleges that semester or subsequent semesters.

All students in the Montana University System and the three (3) community colleges must earn the following minimum grades in order to demonstrate their competency and preparation:

  1. a “D-” or better in all classes that are used to satisfy so-called free or elective credits in an associate or baccalaureate degree program;
  2. a “C-” or better in all classes that are used to satisfy a general education program;
  3. a “C-” or better in all classes that are used to satisfy the pre-requisites or required courses in a major, minor, option or certificate.

Individual programs may establish grade standards that are higher than the minimums set out in paragraph A above, for some or all of the courses that are used to satisfy the pre-requisites or requirements for a major, minor, option, certificate or general education.  Students will be notified of that expectation.  Please refer to  Associate of Applied Science and Certificate of Applied Science Requirements to see minimum grades for specific grade requirements.

Interstate Passport

MSU Billings participates in the Interstate Passport Network, which provides a framework for block transfer of lower-division general education based on learning outcomes. Passport is designed to help students transfer both to and from MSUB. Students who complete MSU Billings' passport block with a minimum grade of "C" in each course will be awarded the Passport. Students who later transfer with a Passport to another Network-member institution will not have to repeat or take additional courses to satisfy lower-division general education requirements. Information on colleges and universities within the network can be found at

For more information on Passport, please contact the Registrar's Office.

All Transfers

Note:  By action of the Academic Senate of MSU Billings, City College at MSU Billings will accept transfer students with completed AA or AS degrees from other regionally accredited institutions as having fulfilled their City College at MSU Billings General Education requirements if the general education package is comparable in total credits and content. (10/7/04 memo #446 p. 1654)

All college-level courses from regionally accredited institutions of higher education will be received and applied towards the free elective requirements of associate or baccalaureate degrees as applicable.

The Advisors within Jacket Student Central at City College (406-247-3019) and/or Advising Office at the University campus (406-657-2240) will do an evaluation of transcripts upon receiving all official transcripts for the student.  The student will be informed as to what transfer courses can be accepted toward the major and what courses must yet be completed for the degree.  This evaluation will be processed only after an application, the admission fee, and official college transcripts are on file with the Registrar's Office.

Students who transfer credit from foreign institutions or from institutions that do not have regional accreditation will have their courses evaluated on an individual basis.  Policy and procedure information may be obtained in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Students transferring from institutions with candidacy status in a regional accrediting association must earn at least 20 credits at MSU Billings with a minimum 2.00 GPA before their credits from the former institution will be considered for acceptance.

Students transferring from community colleges or other two-year colleges may not use the credit transferred in lieu of upper division credits required for graduation at Montana State University Billings.

Students transferring to Montana State University Billings who have previously earned a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education are considered to have their General Education requirements completed.  Only information pertaining to the degree, date, and institution conferring will be noted on the transcript, individual coursework is not transcripted.

Acceptance of credits from other institutions of higher learning does not preclude the necessity of meeting all curricular requirements of a specific program.  Students transferring to MSU Billings may have their credits evaluated on the basis of the current catalog at the time when they first entered Montana State University Billings, or they may elect to enter under the catalog for the year in which they entered any accredited institution of higher education in the United States provided they have maintained continuous, full-time enrollment (excluding summers) in good standing.

Transfer students will begin a new grade point average at MSU Billings, but for graduation with honors all previous transfer work will be calculated into GPA.

Course Equivalency Guides

Annually, Montana State University Billings updates equivalency agreements with regional community colleges in Wyoming, North Dakota, and Montana; Montana's tribally controlled colleges; and Montana's four-year (public and private) institutions. Students who attend any of these colleges and who plan to transfer to MSU Billings are encouraged to visit the MSUB website (  This information will assist students in understanding how specific courses will transfer to MSU Billings and what courses individual degree programs require.

Articulation Agreements

MSU Billings has a number of articulation agreements with other public and private institutions. These agreements make it possible for students to plan a program of study that begins at a two-year college and leads to a four-year degree from MSU Billings. These agreements are designed to maximize the number of credits students will be able to transfer and to minimize students’ time to degree. Articulation agreements are made with specific programs. Areas of concern such as admissions, financial aid, course requirements, and contact information are clearly discussed.

Each agreement specifies how coursework in the associate degree program applies to the baccalaureate degree program at MSU Billings. Each agreement outlines the appropriate and recommended courses to complete at the two-year college and also specifies courses that must be taken at MSU Billings to complete the program. 

Students interested in attending MSU Billings and utilizing an articulation agreement are encouraged to indicate their interest in one of the articulation agreements to an academic advisor prior to or during their first term in attendance.

Former MSU Billings Student Re-Admission

A former student of Montana State University Billings who is in good standing and who was not in attendance the preceding term will be eligible for registration after completing the following:

  1. Complete and file a former student application with the Registrar's Office or re-admit online at or via myinfo. 
  2. Request that official transcripts from institutions attended, if any, since last attending Montana State University Billings be sent to the Registrar's Office.


First-Time Students

  1. All first-time students at City College at MSU Billings need to apply to the College and be accepted before they can register
  2. After being admitted, students should check for the beginning dates for registration (see the University Calendar), after which students may register at any time.
  3. If necessary, take the a placement test, available by individual appointment.  Call Jacket Student Central to confirm placement measure options and cost for testing.
  4. Academic advising is provided as part of a Registration Session. First-time students at City College at MSU Billings are required to work with an academic advisor prior to registering for classes.   A student’s course schedule must be approved by an academic advisor before actual registration can take place.  The Advising Center, within Jacket Student Central, is located on first floor of the Tech Building at the City College Campus, (406) 247-3019 and McMullen Hall First Floor, (406) 657-2240 on the University campus.
  5. Students are also encouraged to attend an Orientation Session prior to attending their first semester.  Processing of student identification cards, learning about academic support services and engagement opportunities along with other information necessary for a successful first semester at City College at MSU Billings is accomplished through these sessions.
  6. In order to complete the 60-72 credits required to complete an associates degree, students are encouraged to enroll in 15 or more credits each semester.  However, to assist students to complete their degree in a timely fashion, the tuition for students taking 12 credits or more will remain the same.  Thus, whether one registers for 12, 15, or 18 credits, the same tuition applies.  It is clearly to students’ advantage to register for 15 credits or more a semester.  Please note that The MSU Billings Financial Aid Office defines the academic year as 30 weeks and 24 credits.  Therefore, the financial aid definition of fulltime enrollment is 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students.
  7. Once the course schedule has been approved, the student should follow registration instructions found on the web at or from the advising office.
  8. Some classes may be restricted or closed and need departmental approval.  Student should see the department or Jacket Student Central for assistance in registering for these courses.
  9. Students may add courses during the first seven instructional days of the semester before permission of the instructor or department chairperson is required.  Dropping a course with a partial refund is permissible through the 15th instructional day, and a course may be dropped without a grade penalty up through the 13th week of the semester.  With instructor and advisor approval, a course may be dropped up until 10 class days (not including finals) from semester’s end.  Once a course grade is submitted, the course may no longer be dropped without instructor and advisor approval.
  10. Students who have not paid their bills by the close of business on the 3rd day of classes may be dropped from their classes.
  11. If a student registers after the third day of the semester, a late fee will be added to the registration charge.

Registration Regulations

Late Registration

Students are expected to complete registration within the dates stated.  For any delay beyond that period, unless such delay is caused by University officials, a late registration fee will be charged.  Students permitted to register late must pay the full fees.  Students who fail to pay or do not have their fees arranged before the final fee payment day will have their classes deleted for that semester.

Transcript(s) from Former School(s) and College(s)

All official records (transcripts) of former college study must be filed in the Jacket Student Central by new students (and by former students if they have attended other colleges since last attending MSU Billings) before they can register for courses and their application is considered complete.  (See Non-Degree Policy and Procedures under Admissions Section.)  Failure to file transcripts with Jacket Student Central within a reasonable time will result in the cancellation of a student’s registration.  Responsibility for securing transcripts rests with the student.

Adding Courses

Students may add courses during the first seven instructional days of each semester.  Students may add courses after the seventh instructional day and through the 15th instructional day only with the instructor's and department chairperson’s approvals.

Repeated Courses

When a course which a student has previously attempted is repeated, only the most recent course credit and grade is calculated into the student’s grade point average, even if the most recent grade is lower.  (Note:  the original course and the grade remain on the official transcript in addition to the more recent course and grade).  In order to inform the Registrar's Office of a repeated course, the student must file with the Registrar's Office a Repeat Form that identifies the proper course numbers.

No prerequisite course may be repeated if the more advanced course has been completed with a grade of “C” or better.  Exception may be considered upon appeal to the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered.

Military Credit for Prior Learning

Academic credit for Professional Military Education (non-academic experience credit may be granted for military service and training) may be granted through a review for completed military service schools based upon the recommendations of the service members Joint Services Transcript (JST). “A Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces” [American Council of Education]. Inquiries about credit for military training and experience should be made at the Advising Center. All evaluations are based on course credit recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE) for military training and experience, and are directly influenced by the students degree plan at the time of evaluation. Questions about having your JST evaluated should be directed to the Military and Veterans Success Center.

Credit Recommended by the National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs

Credit may be granted to students based on the recommendation of the National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs and the National Program on Collegiate Sponsored Instruction.

Academic Regulations

Flat Spot

As students wishing to earn an associate’s degree are expected to complete 60-72 credits over a four-semester period of time to graduate in two years, a minimum of 15 or more credits must be taken each semester.  To encourage students to take a full load of 15 or more credits, a “Flat Spot” in the tuition has been created allowing students to register for 12 or more credits for the same tuition as 12 credits.  Thus, whether one registers for 12, 15, or 18 credits, the same tuition applies.  It is clearly to students’ advantage to register for 15 credits or more a semester.  Please note that The MSU Billings Financial Aid Office defines the academic year as 30 weeks and 24 credits.  Therefore, the financial aid definition of full time enrollment is 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students.

Credit Overload

Any student not on probation may register for up to 18 credits per term.  However, individual students who have a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) may register for up to 20 credits per semester without consent.  Students who wish to register for a credit load in excess of 18 hours, but who have less than a 3.00 GPA must have approval of the chairperson of the department in which they are majoring.  Students who have a 3.00 GPA and wish to register for a credit load in excess of 20 credits per semester must have the approval of the chairperson of the department in which they are majoring, complete a Request for Overload form, and return the form to Jacket Student Central or the Registrar's Office.

Change of Major

A student who considers such a change is warned that the requirements of the new curriculum may make necessary the completion of additional credits if the student is to fulfill requirements for graduation.  Students need to visit the Advising Center within Jacket Student Central (City College Tech Building First Floor/McMullen Hall First Floor) to obtain assistance with a change of major.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are scheduled during the last week of each semester.  A final examination schedule is available at Jacket Student Central and on the web at

Accelerated Coursework

Students are encouraged to decrease the time required to complete a degree by gaining credit for knowledge they have obtained which duplicates that which is taught in specific courses.  Students should initiate requests for such academic credit by consulting first with their advisor or department chairperson.  The following provisions indicate ways accelerated credit may be awarded.

Applicants who have taken Advanced Placement (AP) Exams, and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams should request that the official scores be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. AP scores of 3 or higher and IB Exams with scores of 4 or higher will be granted college credit with a Pass (P) grade for the equivalent courses.  After students successfully complete a semester at MSU Billings, the credits will be placed on their college transcripts with the indication of AP for Advanced Placement, or IB for International Baccalaureate.

Course Substitution

Students may request a substitution for any stated course if they have previously completed a college course in which the subject matter closely parallels that of the course for which they request the substitution.  All substitutions must be approved by the academic department chairperson.  In no instance will a reduction be made in the number of credits required for any academic program.

Challenging Courses

Each department or unit determines the courses which may be challenged.  A course may not be challenged when the course is a prerequisite to a more advanced course already completed.  Students are advised to check with individual departments for detailed procedures to be followed.

Procedure for Challenging a Course

The student should obtain a recommendation from the instructor of the course being challenged and the approval of the chairperson of the department in which the course is listed.  The following conditions apply to the challenging of courses for college credit:

  1. The student must be currently enrolled in City College at MSU Billings.
  2. Approval of the challenge request must be made by the chairperson of the department in which the course is listed, who will decide whether the challenge shall be by a comprehensive examination and/or by some other evidence of competence in the subject matter of the course.
  3. Challenge credit may be granted only if the grade received is “C” or higher.
  4. A course previously taken as an audit course or as a credit course may not be challenged for credit.
  5. By action of the University’s Academic Senate, AP, CLEP and DANTES credits are awarded with a “P” grade.  Departmental challenges may carry a letter or “P” grade.
    The Board of Regents has authorized the American Council on Education’s Guide to Educational Credit by Examination and National CCRS (National College Credit Recommendation Service) for use to establish minimum scores and credit.
  6. Currently enrolled students may receive credit on their transcript for successfully completed Advanced Placement (AP) exams, DSST exams, College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams or challenge exams prepared by the Academic Department.  For the credit to be applied to an City College at MSU Billings transcript, the following procedure must be followed:  Students or departments must turn in challenge documentation to the Jacket Student Central Office after the successful challenge has been completed. AP and CLEP credits are added to student transcripts after the 15th class day each term.

Independent Study

Well-qualified students may undertake academic work in the form of independent study.  The number of credits will be determined by the instructor and approved by the department chairperson.  Courses listed in the Catalog as regularly offered courses may not be taken under the designation of Independent Study.

Advanced Placement

Advanced placement in certain academic areas with sequential or prerequisite courses is available to students with a high degree of competency.  Normally, advanced placement is made on the basis of standardized tests and other evidence of competency in the area.  Should students demonstrate sufficient competency as determined by the appropriate department, they are placed at a level in the course sequence commensurate with their abilities.  Satisfactory results of the advanced placement procedure are reported to the Registrar's Office by the responsible department with a grade report.

College Advance Placement Exams (AP for High School Students)

High school students who earn at least a scaled score of three on the College Entrance Examination Board’s Advance Placement exams may receive credit in approved MSU Billings courses.  (See the Admission above.)  Call Admissions at (406) 657-2888 for course equivalencies or check the listing at

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The purpose of this program is to allow students and prospective students to take examinations which measure knowledge in a variety of subject matter areas.  Evaluation of the results determines whether proficiency is equivalent to that which would be expected upon completion of a college level course in that subject.  If the individual demonstrates proficiency, credits earned through CLEP may apply toward graduation requirements (see “Procedure for Challenging a Course” above).  A Pass (P) grade is granted upon obtaining the required examination score.  Call the Registrar's Office at (406) 657-2158 for course equivalencies or check the listing on the homepage at

Opportunities for Study Abroad

MSU Billings encourages students to seek out opportunities to study abroad.  A variety of international programs varying from a summer tour to a complete junior year abroad are available.  Contact the Office of International Studies ((406) 657-1705) for details, or visit:

Prior Learning Assessment Policies and Procedures

At Montana State University Billings, students may earn credit when the outcome of the learning, often via the acquisition of skills and/or knowledge, can be translated into credit.

Note:  Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) guidelines and policies are subject to change.

Several options are as follows:

  1. Challenge tests, such as CLEP, DSST, and UExcel allow the student to study for and test out of equivalent college-level courses.
  2. Students may have already earned credit through work-site training or government-sponsored workshops or military experience.  If students have certificates or documentation which state that the American Council on Education (ACE) or the National CCRS (National College Credit Recommendation Service) assesses that training, credit may be available for coursework for which there are equivalencies in MSU Billings’ curriculum.  Military credit is assessed from the Joint Services Transcript (JST). Questions about this type of training or military credit may be directed to the Military and Veterans Success Center (406) 657-2968.
  3. Credits earned via PLA are not considered part of the institutional residency requirement.
  4. Credits are applied to degree program requirements in the same manner as all other credits earned. Once credits are applied to a transcript, they will not be removed. Prior learning credits in excess of degree requirements may limit the student's eligibility for financial aid.
  5. Credits will be identified as earned via prior learning assessment on transcripts in accordance with Board of Regent standards.
  6. In addition to the methods listed above, the University also offers students the opportunity to earn credit through Prior Learning Assessment.  This assessment will take into account work experience or other learning experiences, which do not fall into the categories described above, but which can be assessed through alternative documentation.  The department chair of the discipline in which prior learning credit is desired will designate the appropriate faculty member, program director or chair to develop criteria for portfolio, challenge exam, or other faculty-determined assessment methods.
  7. Up to 15 credits can be earned through Prior Learning Assessment, and this type of credit will be graded with “P” if credit is earned (Pass/No Pass credit guidelines can be found on page 50).  For more information on Prior Learning Assessment, please contact the Registrar's Office.
  8. Implementation of these policies needs to be consistent with existing departmental policies and consistent with accreditation policies and practices already in place in the various colleges (AACSB, CAEP, etc.).

Auditing Coursework

(No credit awarded)

An audit is at the discretion of the course instructor. Individual auditing courses are listening and observing. Individuals auditing will not receive credit for the course. Homework, projects and examinations are not expected and any feedback related to the auditor listening and observing is at the discretion and availability of the instructor. Certain courses (activity, clinical, laboratory and studio) are not available to audit. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the appropriate department chair and dean.

Currently enrolled students who elect to audit a class pay the normal credit hour tuition/fees as outlined in the student tuition/fee schedule.  Any person not otherwise enrolled or registered in a course for college credit may, with instructor approval, audit the course at the cost per credit hour.  These fees are nonrefundable.

An audit must be declared during the first seven instructional days of a semester. Any person enrolled for audit will be certified as such by the Registrar's Office. In order to audit, the student must obtain instructor’s permission and instructor’s signature on an audit card. This card is available from Jacket Student Central (Tech Building First Floor).  When the student has completed the audit card with the faculty signature and cashier payment, the card is returned to Jacket Student Central. 

A student may not later establish credit in a course that was taken under the audit option by taking a special examination.  In all cases, students who register for regular credit and pay regular tuition/fees will have priority for enrollment in a class over those students who audit the class.

Class Attendance and Student Absences

Members of the faculty determine the attendance policy for their classes.  Absences, without penalty, for official University activities and short term military service obligations are permissible provided the instructor is notified in advance of such an absence.  An official University activity is an activity where a student officially represents the University through an academic department, sponsored University program, or an officially registered student organization.  In all absences, the student is responsible for all requirements of the course.

Requests for absence for special events shall be submitted to the Vice Chancellor for Student Access and Success on the Student Travel Authorization form.  This form should be obtained from the Office of the Vice Chancellor, room 201, McMullen Hall, at least one week in advance of the expected absence.  This procedure will ensure students the opportunity to make up examinations given when official University activities are scheduled.

Class Enrollment Lists

Faculty may obtain class lists each term online.  Only students who are regularly registered for a course may attend class.  No grade or credit will be given to students for any course in which they are not properly registered.

Extent of Official Absence

When issued, an official absence is an excuse for time only and does not mean that a student is excused from the study assignment for that period.  Each student is responsible for making up all work missed, as required by the instructor.

Drops and Withdrawals

Dropping a Course

Dropping a course is permitted through the seventh week, 35th day of the semester.  There is no penalty for failing work through the drop period.  Dropping a course is also permitted through the 13th week and up until 10 class days from the official end of the semester (not including final) with the approval of the student’s academic advisor and course instructor.  Once a course grade is submitted, the course may no longer be dropped without instructor and advisor approval.  After the 13th week, students may not drop courses, and the instructor will assign a letter grade.  The mark “W” is assigned to any course dropped after the 15th day of class.

After the 15th class day and before the 13th week, all drops must be formal and must be recorded by the student with the Registrar's Office.

In all courses in which a student fails to complete all requirements and for which no formal withdrawal has been filed in the Registrar's Office, the final grade for the course shall be an “F.”

Withdrawal from College

Students who withdraw from City College at MSU Billings during a semester are required to fill out a withdrawal form and complete an exit interview with an advisor in the Advising Center located in Jacket Student Central on the first floor of City College Tech Building.

Students who officially withdraw during the first fifteen days of an academic term will not have the coursework reflected on the transcript.  Students who withdraw after the third week will receive a grade of “W” (Withdrew) in all classes.

Students who do not officially withdraw from classes will receive a letter grade (i.e., other than a “W” grade) to be determined by the instructor of each class.

"W" grades, while having no GPA impact, still count as attempted credits for academic, billing, and financial aid purposes. No grades, including those of "W" are subject to removal from the academic transcript.

No Show Reporting

In order to be eligible to receive federal financial aid, a student must have attended a minimum of one class meeting or the equivalent in the case of a distance learning course, have documented academic engagement. In a distance learning course, initial student attendance is determined by course participation as measured by accessing and using course materials, completion of a class assignment, participation in a course discussion, or other evidence of participation. If for any reason you cannot attend or participate online with your classes, please notify the Registrar’s Office immediately.

Per federal regulations, we are required to confirm participation in courses covered by federal financial aid. If you cease to attend or participate in coursework, this can have a significant impact on you financially, meaning you could have a substantial balance due back to the university.  Once the Office of Financial Aid receives notification on non-attendance, this is reported through a no-show process and students may owe a refund of all or a part of previously disbursed financial aid awards.

Return of Title IV Funds (Federal Financial Aid)

Students who have received or may be receiving federal financial aid must be attending classes to remain eligible for the federal financial aid they have received or could be eligible to receive. A post-withdrawal disbursement will be made if a student shows eligibility for Title IV aid.  If a student drops courses, stops attending classes (Unofficial Withdrawal), never starts attending a class, or officially withdraws from the MSUB by completing and submitting the Official Withdrawal form, the University and/or the student may be required to return federal funds awarded to the student. It is very important for students receiving federal financial aid to contact the Financial Aid Office at (406) 657-2188 PRIOR to completing the official withdrawal process. If a student officially withdraws during the first fifteen days of class, the tuition and fees will be re-assessed for the semester based upon the official date of withdrawal and the University’s refund policy. If a student does not complete the Official Withdrawal form and ceases attending and receives no passing grades for the semester the student is an Unofficial Withdrawal.  A student’s official or unofficial withdrawal date is determined by:

  • the date the student began the institution’s withdrawal process or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw;
  • the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution (unofficial);
  • or the last date of attendance by the student with documented academic engagement.

The federal formula requires a return of Title IV aid if the student received federal financial assistance in the form of a Federal Pell Grant, TEACH Grant, Iraq/Afghanistan Service Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Direct Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized), or Federal Parent or Graduate PLUS loans for students who officially or unofficially withdraw. The amount of financial aid that must be returned to the Department of Education is based on a federal formula that takes into consideration the date of the withdrawal or last date of attendance, the amount of federal financial aid received for the term, and the amount of institutional charges for the term. 

If you officially or unofficially withdraw from MSUB, you may have to repay any unearned financial aid funds that were already disbursed to you and returned to the U.S. Department of Education.  A post-withdrawal disbursement will be made if a student shows eligibility for Title IV aid and the student requests the disbursement.  

Veterans Certifying Official

Military and Veteran Student Success Center

College of Education Room 106, (406) 657-2968

To activate your VA Educational Benefits contact:

VA Certifying Official
College of Education 106
(406) 657-2968

MSU Billings recommends all service members speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor prior to enrolling.   Many ESOs can assist with obtaining the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

For assistance on the posting of your VA Educational benefits please contact the Business Services Office in McMullen Hall.
Renee Haefer
(406) 657-1707
McMullen Ground Level West

For more detailed information about your benefits, please refer to