Adventure Leadership in Health and Recreation Recreation Therapy Option Master of Science
Students entering this graduate program are expected to have appropriate academic preparation prior to beginning academic coursework in athletic training. Transcript evaluation will be done by the graduate faculty to determine fulfillment of prerequisite knowledge in these areas. The course description and/or syllabus may be used to determine acceptance.
- Methods of Adapted Health Enhancement (HEE 310)
- Foundations of Exercise Science w/Lab (KIN 105/KIN 106)
- Motor Learning w/Lab (KIN 330/KIN 331) or Exercise Physiology w/Lab (KIN 320/KIN 321)
- Statistics (STAT 216)
- All students must maintain a current 80-hour Wilderness First Responder certification while in the program (ECP 312)
Recreation Therapy Option Prerequisite Courses
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/Lab (Required for NCTRC Certification S4) (BIOH 301/BIOH 302, or BIOB 101 & CHMY 121 or BIOB 160 & CHMY 141)
- Developmental Psychology (PSYX 230 or PSYX 100)
- Abnormal Psychology (Required for NCTRC Certification S3) (PSYX 340 or PSYX 100)
Program Admission Requirements
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (GPA below 3.0 may be considered)
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or an equivalent exam.
- Completed graduate application form and application fee.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- Application essay.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended.
- Student must complete technical standards and a background check once accepted into the program.
Admission into the ALiHR Program is a competitive process. MSUB ALiHR program will accept applications after the deadline; however, that applicant will be at a disadvantage. A student may be considered for the program after the application deadline if the student meets the requirements and a position exists.
Student Learning and Outcomes Assessment
The National Council for Therapeutic Recreation (NCTRC) has set the benchmarks for education, exam preparation, and professional practice for therapeutic recreation. The MSU Billings ALiHR program seeks to meet and exceed the educational requirements presented in the NCTRC Training Education Competencies. The program further seeks to produce adventure leaders who possess the ability to function as professionals in accordance with the current role NCTRC Job Analysis, but also have the ability to conduct and evaluate research in the adventure recreation field.
- Students will demonstrate safe and effective leadership and planning consistent with professional standards, including risk management.
- Students will meet or exceed minimal requirements for professional certifications.
- Recreation Therapy option students will ascertain and demonstrate the required skills for all NCTRC recreation therapy competencies and clinical integration proficiencies.
- Students will display critical thinking skills and formulate sound decisions in their field experiences.
- Students will establish professional relationships with governmental and private adventure recreation organizations and/or relevant medical and allied health care providers.
- Students will develop, design, and execute independent research projects or participate in an extended experiential/clinical internship.
The ALiHR Program is a two year (five semester) program with new cohorts beginning in June.
|ALHR 501||Orientation to ALiHR||1|
|ALHR 502||Adventure Skills Training||1|
|ALHR 503||Cont Iss Hlth/Rec Ther/Adv Ldr||3|
|HHP 502||Rsrch in Exercise & Sport Sci||3|
|REC 510||Adventure Leadership||3|
|REC 511||Adv Guiding & Instructing||3|
|Recreation Therapy Option Requirements|
|ALTR 520||Therapeutic Recreation Process||3|
|ALTR 521||Assmnt, Doc & Admin Rec Therpy||3|
|ALTR 522||Therapeutic Rec Modalities||2|
|ALTR 523||Therapeutic Rec & Disabilities||2|
|KIN 462||Evidence Based Assessment||3|
|REHA 507||Prof Orient & Ethical Practice||3|
|REHA 515||Med & Psych Aspects Disability||3|
|REHA 519||Human Growth & Development||3|
|SPED 550||Tchng Stdnts w Emtnl/Bhvrl Dis||3|
|Select one of the following options:|
|HHP 597||Capstone Project||1|
|Total minimum credits||49|