Outdoor Adventure Leadership Bachelor of Science/Adventure Leadership in Health and Recreation Adventure Leadership Option Master of Science 3+2
The 3+2 between Outdoor Adventure Leadership (OAL) and Adventure Leadership in Health and Recreation (ALiHR) allows students to obtain both a Bachelor’s degree in OAL and Master’s degree in ALiHR within five years, which is extremely beneficial to the student financially and effectively decreases time spent working towards a degree. Students are required to complete three years in the undergraduate OAL major, obtaining general education requirements as well as prerequisite courses for the ALiHR program. During the third year, the student applies for acceptance into the ALiHR program (February 1). If not accepted, the student may reapply to the ALiHR program and continue to work on coursework for the OAL degree. If accepted, the student will begin specific ALiHR coursework in the beginning of the fourth year, with coursework beginning in June. After successful completion of the fourth year, students are eligible for graduation with the bachelor’s degree. At the successful completion of the fifth year, students are eligible for graduation with the master’s degree. If the ALiHR student has completed the Recreation Therapy Option they are eligible to take the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) examination.
Student Learning and Outcomes
Bachelor of Science
- Demonstrate safe and effective leadership in the skill areas encompassed in the program, consistent with professional standards, including risk management.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate adventure experiences in areas encompassed in the program.
- Determine and evaluate participant learning outcomes in outdoor adventure experiences.
- Professionally communicate knowledge, demonstrate skills, and evaluate participant performance in adventure activities and programming.
Master of Science
- Demonstrate safe and effective leadership and planning consistent with professional standards, including risk management.
- Meet or exceed minimal requirements for professional certifications.
- Recreation Therapy option students will ascertain and demonstrate the required skills for all NCTRC recreation therapy competencies and clinical integration proficiencies.
- Display critical thinking skills and formulate sound decisions in their field experiences.
- Establish professional relationships with governmental and private adventure recreation organizations and/or relevant medical and allied health care providers.
- Develop, design, and execute independent research projects or participated in an extended experiential/clinical internship.
Program Admission Requirements
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0. However, a GPA below a 3.0 may be considered.
- A standardized graduate admission test (GRE or equivalent) must be on record.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and professional references concerning the candidate’s potential to succeed in graduate school.
- It is recommended but not required to obtain a minimum of 25-50 contact hours with a certified recreation therapist.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended.
- An essay stating why the student wants to be an athletic trainer, career goals, and the attributes possessed that will make the student successful in life and athletic training.
- Completed application form and submission of application fee. The application deadline is February 1.
Students will be required to participate in an internet or phone-based interview with faculty from the ALiHR program.
Once a student has met all admission criteria and is admitted into the ALiHR program, that student will receive provisional acceptance. In order to gain full acceptance the student will have to successfully complete the following:
- Technical Standards
- Criminal Background Check
- Prerequisite Courses. If a student does not have all the prerequisite courses and has met all other criteria for admission into the ALiHR program, a student will be allowed one (1) year to successfully complete prerequisite courses and to gain admission.
|General Education Requirements||31|
|Outdoor Adventure Leadership Requirements|
|BGEN 105A||Introduction to Business *||3|
|or BGEN 105B||Introduction to Business|
|BMKT 325||Principles of Marketing||3|
|ECP 120||Emergency Medical Responder||3|
|ECP 312||Wilderness Medicine||4|
|HEE 310||Methods of Adapted Hlth Enhncm||2|
|KIN 105||Fnd of Exercise Science||3|
|KIN 106||Fndtns of Exercise Science Lab||1|
|Select from the following:||4|
|Motor Learning and Control|
and Motor Learning and Control Lab
and Exercise Physiology Lab
|REC 120||Fund of Backcountry Travel||2|
|REC 181||Basic Navigation/Orienteering||1|
|REC 200||Fnd Outdoor Advent Leadershp||3|
|REC 210||Environment/Leave No Trace||2|
|REC 280||Challenge Course Fundamentals||2|
|REC 306||Outdoor Living Skills||3|
|REC 308||Winter Outdoor Living Skills||2|
|REC 309||People and the Environment||3|
|REC 310||Adventure Leadership||3|
|REC 411||Adventure Guiding/Instructing||3|
|REC 466||Ethcl Asp in Outdoor Leadershp||2|
|REC 470||Adventure Prog Planning & Dev||3|
|REC 498||Internship/Cooperative Educ||6|
|STAT 216||Introduction to Statistics *||4|
|Skills Area Level I|
|Select 6 credits from the following:||6|
|Nordic Skiing I|
|Alpine Skiing I|
|Telemark Skiing I|
|Fly Fishing I|
|Low Element Challenges|
|Shooting Sports I|
|Rock Climbing I|
|Skills Area Level II|
|Select 12 credits from the following:||12|
|Winter Survival Skills|
|Basic Survival in the Outdoors|
|Alpine Skiing II|
|Fly Fishing II|
|Skiing/Snowbrding Instr Dev|
|Rock Climbing II|
|Shooting Sports II|
|Challenge Course Skills/Fac|
|Select 1 course from the following:||3|
|Search and Rescue|
|Swift Water Rescue|
|Bckcntry Avlnch Frcsting/Rscue|
May satisfy General Education Requirements.
|ALHR 501||Orientation to ALiHR||1|
|ALHR 502||Adventure Skills Training||1|
|ALHR 503||Cont Iss Hlth/Rec Ther/Adv Ldr||3|
|HHP 502||Rsrch in Exercise & Sport Sci||3|
|REC 510||Adventure Leadership||3|
|REC 511||Adv Guiding & Instructing||3|
|Adventure Leadership Option Requirements|
|ALHR 530||Hist Pers & Polcy of Outd Adv||3|
|ALHR 532||Budg, Fin, & Facl Mgmt Adv Rec||3|
|ALHR 533||Risk Mgmt & Comm in Adv Rec||2|
|EDCI 500||Curriculum Development||2|
|EDF 530||Adv Human Dev & Learning||3|
|HHP 550||Psychological Principles||3|
|REC 566||Ethical & Legal Aspects in OAL||3|
|REC 570||Adventure Prog Planning & Dev||3|
|Select one of the following options:|
|HHP 597||Capstone Project||1|
|Total minimum credits||159|